I Met a Famous Author Thanks to UT!

One of the most overlooked benefits of attending a large, prestigious school like the University of Texas is the abundance of interesting events available to students. So even though I’ve spent most of this semester hiding from the world and studying for my CPA exams, I couldn’t pass up the chance to see one of my favorite authors, Jodi Picoult, speak at the LBJ Library as part of the Middleton Lecture series. You might know her from some of her older books, such as My Sister’s Keeper and Nineteen Minutes, but she was here last week to discuss her new New York Times bestseller, The Storyteller; a hauntingly descriptive story of Holocaust survivors and the legacy they left behind.

In addition to convincing me that I needed to put aside my studying and immediately read her new novel (hey – who doesn’t need a break now and then anyway?), Picoult also shared some thoughts on more widely applicable topics such as the publishing industry, equality issues for women writers, and work-life balance.

Although I was, of course, intrigued by her discussion of the business side of self-publishing, the emergence of e-book sales, and the various issues related to piracy (you can see the entire discussion here), I think her most interesting topic of the night was the depth of research that goes into each book she writes. Beyond the research of historical or scientific facts, she discussed the care she takes to build relationships with people and diligently take in their opinions, thoughts, and stories.

It just goes to show that no matter how successful you become or how technically proficient you are at your job, the ability to connect with people and take the time to find the value of what they have to offer can still be your most valuable skill.

One thought on “I Met a Famous Author Thanks to UT!”