My First Blog!

Bevo, the UT Longhorns mascot, on campus

Hello All – I am very excited to write my first blog as an MPA blogger!  I want to write about some of my experiences thus far as an MPA at UT.

I got here in August, when the Austin heat was blazing in record high temperatures, eager to start classes and get into the swing of things.  Orientation was the first step, which is still one of my favorite events so far.  I was able to meet all the new people I would be spending the next year or so with, and we all took to each other very well! We had a few administrative speakers welcoming us to the MPA program as well as more informational speakers, such as Kathy and Jason (two advisors whom you will get to know very well as an MPA).

We were also thrust into the career recruiting process right away, with an etiquette dinner, a “speed dating” event, and the career fair.  It was helpful being able to meet perspective employers and the recruiters at both the etiquette dinner and the speed dating event before the career fair so that a relationship was already built.  Orientation week was finally over, and I was able to take a bit of a rest before my classes started.

Orientation was a great way to get introduced to the program, UT and my fellow MPA’s.  I am still getting to know a lot of faculty and other MPAs, and so far, the people here are really making my experience very special.  When I started high school, I remember being so nervous about making friends since I had not done it since I was about 5 years old.  I got a little more practice at my undergraduate university, but even coming to UT, I was still nervous about making friends.  Needless to say, there was no reason to be nervous as everyone else was in the same boat as me, and MPA admissions did a great job at picking some winners! I really have enjoyed getting to know everyone here, including students, faculty, and the very nice people of Austin.

Besides all the friends I have made, I have also really been enjoying my classes (of course some more than others) as well as the events I have been to (including MPA Council events, which I will write about in future blogs).  I will definitely be writing more about what I do on a day to day basis, what classes and teachers to take (or not to take), and all things MPA.

Please leave a comment below if you have anything to say or have a topic you want me to write about next!

5 thoughts on “My First Blog!”

1. Has it been tough trying to find a balance between recruitment and your academic life? Did you prepare for the recruitment period before you started the program and if so, how?

1. Hi Rebecca!
      I actually did not recruit with the MPA program past orientation because I had an offer from a firm that I interned with during the summer and accepted it. I am sure some of the other bloggers who did go through recruiting would be able to share their experiences with you. You can also email the Career Services Advisors, Vinh Nguyen Vinh.Nguyen@mccombs.utexas.edu or Michelle Polkinghorn Michelle.Polkinghorn@mccombs.utexas.edu for some more advice.
      Thanks!
      Allison

2. It’s interesting to note how the “speed dating” concept is catching on to connect people for different purposes. Recently, in Prince George, British Columbia, a 3 day “speed dating” conference was held for Aboriginal business people looking to expand their partnership contacts.

3. Dear Allison:

Welcome to the business world. I hope you enjoy with your studies but you must remember two important things: 1) the real world ins´t very similar to the things you study in the University; 2) it´s more important to be constant than to be a great student to be succesful in the business worlds.
    Greetings from Spain.