Take the time to stop and sharpen your knife

As the end of the fall semester creeps up, I have to constantly remind myself to remain calm and take one day at a time. I always keep up with my reading, yet the thought of three exams in one week absolutely freaks me out. I’m talking about nervous-breakdown-grade freak outs. I know I’m not alone in this, and I also know that I’m not alone in cranking out 14-hour study sessions that probably aren’t quite necessary in that capacity.

I heard some great advice from an employer the other day during an ACE seminar:

“Be sure to take the time to stop and sharpen your knife. If you keep on cutting with a dull knife, you aren’t accomplishing anything.”

He was using this analogy in reference to the importance of having a work-life balance in a Big 4 firm, but this advice definitely applies to us in college as well. It is so important to take breaks when things get stressful, because there comes a point where our brain just no longer retains the words we are reading.

These first MPA courses are on a whole different level than my undergrad courses from the first two years of college, and I often get caught up studying for hours and nights on end without ever taking proper mental breaks. I’m starting to get better about taking breaks, but I definately wouldn’t say I’m good at it…yet. It’s a skill I’ll continue working on because I bet it’s pretty important once I’m in my first few years at an accounting firm.

Sometimes, I think it even helps just to have a change of scenery while studying. Anything to get away from the monotony.

Among some good study places I’ve found:

• Austin Javaat 12th and Lamar: Open from 7 a.m.-11 p.m. on weeknights, it’s a decent study location with great food. I like going here on mornings before a test.
  • Mozart’s on Lake Austin: Quiet and open late with wireless access and great caffeinated drinks.
  • The outdoor tables at The Domain: Ideal for the shopaholic who views retail therapy as the ultimate study break.
  • Starbucks on 24th and San Antonio: Open till 2 a.m., this location is perfect if you like the coffeehouse-vibe and need easy access to caffeine.
  • Various libraries on campus: My favorites are the Life Science library in the Tower and the Law library off Dean Keeton. The Life Science library has an old-school appeal: dark wood finishes, overstuffed leather chairs, and giant tables to spread your work out. The Law library is always quiet, and after 7 p.m. there is parking along Dean Keeton so you don’t have to worry about walking alone at night.

Any other recommendations for places to go or activities to do when you need a break or change of scenery? Please contribute in the comments section, below!

One thought on “Take the time to stop and sharpen your knife”

1. I like to hit Gregory Gym every now and again to get some exercise, swim, and just unwind a little.

Then I often undo any health benefits from that by eating at Wendy’s in Jester Hall (across from the PCL) while watching ESPN on their wide screen tv.