Find that happy place

DSC01569I wholeheartedly second, third, and fourth Darrin’s earlier post (“Wanted: Sherlock Homes WannaBe”). I had a similar week last week. Thus, after I turned in my Tax Research case on Saturday (thank you, Prof. Zvinakis, for the extension!), you guessed it! I rushed to San Marcos with a friend for some retail therapy. San Marcos Prime Outlet is a familiar place to me since my UT alumna sister has also found her happy place there and took me with her many times. I have to say, after borrowing some of my future income to pay for that pair of designer jeans in Neiman Marcus (30% additional discount, no less!), I felt so much better about my busy week. For people who are not impulsive spenders like me, this outlet is also a good place for suits, blouses, slacks, and other business attire at heftily discounted prices. Furthermore, the San Marcos outlet is an absolute zoo on Black Friday (Friday after Thanksgiving Day) because where else would one start her holiday shopping than a place with all the major brands imaginable?

My leisure life isn’t all about shopping, despite what I wrote in the last paragraph. The picture* accompanying this entry was taken at Whole Foods Market, an Austin-native organic supermarket. Apparently, it also has a sense of humor, even in its cheese aisle. Grocery shopping and coffee shop hopping are among the things I enjoy doing during my free time. Even just to buy my week’s worth of fruits and vegetables at Central Market (yet another Texan specialty), I get to unwind and temporarily take my mind off of classes, exams, and recruiting. I personally need a few of these breaks occasionally to prevent myself from burning out. I cannot say that I am a believer of the philosophy “study hard, party harder,” but I do believe in taking constructive (or sometimes even unconstructive) breaks from the hectic life of an MPA student. I wonder what are the other bloggers’ happy places?

*Picture taken by fellow MPA classmate, Lawrence Chow. Thanks, Lawrence!

2 thoughts on “Find that happy place”

1. Glad you know how to unwind! The outlets in San Marcos are incredibly extensive. We recently took my parents there on our way back from visiting the Alamo in San Antonio and my mom loved all of the Williams-Sonoma-type outlets. Janssen (my wife) got several new dishes.