Late-October letters

Dear Future Self,

Don’t worry. Even though I’ve been slammed with homework and interviews for quite some time now and have barely had time to keep up with my one show (Heroes), I’m going to continue pushing through to the end to provide you with a great foundation of accounting knowledge, good grades, and, if all goes well, a job. I’m very invested in your career, as you know. And I don’t mind that you’re enjoying the fruits of MY labor. Because, hey! You’re a great guy. And you deserve it.

Sincerely,

Present Self

——————————————–

Dear Audit Mid-Term Exam II,

I didn’t know any one test could cover so many lists. I’m really impressed! Way to go.

Sincerely,

Audit student who woke up quite early this morning to review several pages of lists about internal controls

————————————————

Dear Wife (and current master’s student in the UT iSchool),

I finished off those pumpkin brownies you made. De-licious! I even shared a bit with a friend in the MPA Lounge. He was grateful and impressed at your baking skills.

Love,

Your chocoholic husband who is grateful he took the advice to marry a superb cook

————————————————

Dear Intermediate Group,

Today’s meeting to compile our inputs for Case 2 reminded me how much I enjoy working with you and how sad I am that we’re getting assigned new groups for the next case. It has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I’m jealous that y’all are taking next semester off for your internships. If my slightly-over-one-year program could have included an internship, I’d be going with you! Alas, I chose the faster route in favor of graduating in August of next year. Have fun!

Your friend,

Traditional MPA student interviewing solely for full-time positions

————————————————

Dear Laptop,

You truly make this program so much easier. You take care of all my files, provide quick and easy access to the Internet all over campus (my version of “campus” = GSB, PCL, UTC, and Gregory Gym) with your wireless connection, and allow me to study for hours and hours on end seamlessly in the MPA Lounge, the AIM Reading Room, or virtually any other spot with an outlet. I wouldn’t mind if you lost some weight, but don’t sweat it, Friend! I love you!

Your Owner

————————————————

Dear Unsubsidized Student Loans,

I just wanted you to know, in case you ever get lonely, that even when we’re apart, you’re always there in the back of my mind. In fact, you’re in the back of most of my friends’ minds, too. I wouldn’t mind if you went on a diet, yourself. I mean, you’re up to 6.80% these days, aren’t you? Could you maybe shed a few percentage points? Because no matter how much running I do, it’s never going to help YOU get down to a reasonable size. I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks!

First-Time Debtor

———————————————–

Dear Subsidized Student Loans,

Don’t change a thing. You’re perfect just how you are.

Appreciatively Yours,

He who plans to pay you off before any interest accrues

———————————————–

Dear Fellow MPA Students,

I’m impressed by your “smarts” (to a degree I hadn’t anticipated) and have really enjoyed getting to know you! I’m glad you, too, were drawn to this awesome program, and that you’re equally dedicated to learning and having a fun time together. Best of luck in all those second-round interviews coming up, whether they take you out East or West!!!

Your friend,

Eastward Bound

———————————————–

Dear Accounting,

I know. There’s no reason to write you a letter when I stalk study you all day long, but I figured I’d just let you know that I’m starting to understand you, and I think you’re starting to understand me. I mean, it feels like we could have a long-term relationship developing here. Who knows? Maybe we really were meant for each other. Sure, that first Intermediate test was only mediocre (who knew about that time limit?), but we can’t let that sour the rest of our great memories! Remember that first Financial Accounting exam during summer term? And the many hours we’ve spent cuddled up together on the couch or staring at each other across the table? Yeah, you remember.

Your partner,

Official Accounting Nerd

———————————————–

Dear ‘Horns,

Hook ’em! ‘Cause with BYU out of BCS running, you’re my only hope (and a darn good one, at that!)!

Yeehaw!

A New and True Longhorn Football Fan

4 thoughts on “Late-October letters”

1. Wow, I really enjoyed reading that writing style. Made me laugh while at the same time, it was nice to hear that we are not alone in the challenges of the college life.

*Applause*

2. I concur with Darrin. You are a prolific writer, Bart! I particularly liked the entry about the second audit midterm. I was thinking the same thing: can there BE anymore lists? Keep up the good work! See you in class!