Alerie Sebastian is a traditional Master in Professional Accounting student who is graduating this May. Let’s learn about her experience at Texas McCombs, how virtual classes are going, and what her post-graduate plans are.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM, ALERIE?
Fords, New Jersey!

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TO STUDY ACCOUNTING?
Financial statements and accounting reports tell stories. I wanted to learn the “language of business,” as Warren Buffett says, and how to create, analyze, and communicate the financial information needed to make important business decisions.

AND WHY DID YOU COME TO TEXAS McCOMBS?
I chose UT because it was in a city I wanted to move to and it offered endless career opportunities. Additionally, since it’s ranked #1 in the nation, I wanted to challenge myself. I knew that going to UT would be difficult but it would change me for the better.

WHAT ARE YOUR POST-GRADUATE PLANS?
After graduation, I will be working in Austin, Texas as a management consultant for Sense Corp!

HOW ARE YOU ADJUSTING TO THE REMOTE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT?
I consider myself an “extroverted introvert,” so I honestly love remote learning because it is straight to the point. And without travel and traffic, I have more time to work on my hobbies! However, it’s sad that I currently cannot see all the friends I have made at UT; I have met so many people who have made my MPA experience so amazing!

Alerie and some of her MPA friends visit Lucy’s Fried Chicken in Austin.

WHAT’S AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT YOU THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW?
I run an Instagram page (@girlmeetswealth) which is all about getting people to learn how to control their money so that money does not control them. The statistics surrounding the financial health of Americans are alarming, and I want to help as many people as I can through the power of social media.

WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES AND INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF THE ACADEMIC ENVIRONMENT?
Managing @girlmeetswealth takes up most of my time. On top of that, I love watching combat sports like boxing and MMA. Once the pandemic is over, I plan on joining an MMA gym!

ANY TIPS FOR INCOMING MPA STUDENTS OR THOSE LOOKING INTO ACCOUNTING?
For incoming MPA students, think about what you want to do with your MPA degree. For example, are you interested in audit, tax, industry, or consulting? Accounting is not just about the Big 4. Learn as much as you can about potential career paths because you can do so many different things with a graduate accounting degree.

For those exploring accounting, I have similar advice. Ask yourself, “Why accounting over any other field?” and “What do you want to do with your degree?”

ONE LAST THING… WILL YOU FILL OUR THIS QUESTIONNAIRE FOR US?!

Meet more current MPA students here!