Meet MPA alum Will Braeutigam, a Deloitte Audit Partner and tMPA ‘05. From the MPA program to the Big 4, Will has been putting his knowledge of accounting to good use. Let’s learn more about his journey from the GSB building to professional success.

WHAT DID YOU STUDY WHILE AT UT?
I actually started my studies in computer science and soon decided that was not the career path for me. I then transferred into the College of Liberal Arts and majored in Economics. After completing that degree, I continued my studies and obtained a Master in Professional Accounting degree from Texas McCombs.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE MEMORY FROM OF ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY?
There isn’t just one. The University of Texas has incredible students, professors, and facilities. And, of course, Austin is fantastic! I think my favorite memory is just being on campus, whether that was studying, attending class, grabbing food at the Union, or attending a football or basketball game.

TELL US ABOUT YOUR CURRENT ROLE AT DELOITTE.
I am an Oil and Gas Audit Partner and Deloitte’s Oil and Gas IPO Readiness and Execution leader. My role involves daily interaction with clients while providing auditing, advising, and consulting services. I also serve as the lead recruiting partner at the University of Texas for the Houston Audit practice. When UT students join the firm, I help guide them along their path and watch them become fantastic professionals (whether at Deloitte or in another industry).

HOW DID THE MPA PROGRAM PREPARE YOU FOR PROFESSIONAL SUCCESS?
The high quality of the program’s curriculum, faculty, and graduate students are why so many companies focus their recruiting efforts here. First, the program’s core accounting curriculum and teachers are unrivaled by other universities (I might be a little biased as an alum). Second, group projects helped prepare me to work on large teams with common goals. And third, the technology and finance classes helped me immediately execute work and innovate on the job. Also, while I was a student, I took the opportunity to be a teaching assistant and this helped me become a better teacher and mentor within Deloitte’s apprenticeship model.

WHAT DO YOU MISS MOST ABOUT AUSTIN?
Well, Austin is home to the University of Texas so that’s hard not to miss! I miss all the activities and events that go on in Austin. The city has outstanding food, an incredible night life, fantastic weather, and world-class concerts and festivals.