Duzi is a traditional Master in Professional Accounting student who is graduating this May. Let’s learn a bit more about him and his time here at Texas McCombs.

Name: Mduduzi “Duzi” Mugoba

Where did you grow up? Zimbabwe

Where did you earn your undergraduate degree? Florida International University

What is your undergraduate degree in? Accounting

Why did you decide to come to the MPA program at Texas McCombs?
It is the best accounting program in the country so couldn’t turn down the offer to come to school here! Also, Texas McCombs is in a great city like Austin with so many cool and fun things to do outside of school. So I would say I chose the program for its prestige and for its location.

What is your MPA academic track? Financial Reporting and Assurance

Why did you decide to become an MPA student ambassador?
The MPA program has given me access to amazing opportunities professionally and socially so would love to give back in any way I can.

What has been one of your favorite classes so far and why?
Well, it’s so hard to choose one particular class because I have loved them all! I will say each professor is so different in their teaching styles and how they present information; it is a fun experience navigating all these different styles. I do have a two classes I just have to mention… The first being Professor Badolato’s Financial Statement Analysis (ACC 380K) course, which was high-paced and intense with so much information coming your way. I loved it because it was perhaps my most challenging class in that involved learning in a very different way compared to anything I had ever experienced before. I learned so much about Financial Statement Analysis (and about myself) which was awesome! My other favorite is Investment Theory (FIN 397) with Professor Brown. The information is so relevant and something I will apply to my life in future. The big takeaway from the class (at least for me) is the investment opportunities available if one is interested in passive investment and personal finance management. The class itself is also challenging but that is a common theme for most classes in the MPA program.

What are your plans after you graduate?
I was offered (and accepted) a full-time position at EY and will be working in Houston in their assurance practice. I start in the fall, so while I wait on my start date I plan on taking at least two parts of the CPA exam and enjoying some Texas sun. I am also a fan of the cold drinks that go with the nice, hot summer weather. 🙂

Can you tell us more about the MPA intramural soccer teams you have played on?
Oh yes! It was something that myself, Jeff Chen, and Tyler Wilford were thinking about when the spring semester started. In fact, we just wanted to play some form of intramural sport. Then I ran into Ray Lee (our Team Captain) at a Diversity and Inclusion talk, and he mentioned that he was trying to organize a team to play soccer but couldn’t find enough people. So we exchanged numbers, then I gave Ray Jeff and Tyler’s numbers and they went on to create the team (so all the credit of starting the team should go to me because I had all the contacts haha). But in all seriousness, it was just a way for us to get together as MPAs and do something outside of class. It turned out great because we have a couple of people who have played soccer before, so we were able to be competitive and make it to the playoffs for the men’s league (which we lost under dubious circumstances), but now we have a co-ed team with more MPAs and hopefully more success!

Anything else you’d like to share?
I would say that as important as the classes are, I have enjoyed meeting different people more than anything. The MPA program is very challenging and one can get extremely busy, but I think the most value I have received from the program is meeting new people and actually making meaningful connections outside of the conventional “networking.” It’s important to keep that in mind for anyone looking to join the MPA program.

Mighty MPA Soccer

The Mighty MPAs smile for a team photo with Steve Smith, Senior Director of the MPA program. Duzi Mugoba is pictured in the bottom row, third from the left.