Writing an admissions essay can seem like a daunting task…
What should I write?
How should I write it?
How long should the essay be?
Here are some tips to consider before writing your essay:
- First and foremost, be yourself. The purpose of the essay is to provide the admissions committee with a better understanding of what makes you unique. It gives you an opportunity to stand out from the sea of applicants. Provide a thoughtful portrayal of why you are interested in the Texas MPA and how our program will assist you in reaching your goals. Don’t write what you think the admissions committee wants to hear! We would like to know about your unique aspirations and achievements and will not judge what you aim to do with your career.
- Develop your ideas, but be concise. Although you should focus more on content than length, the average essay is approximately two pages long. As a result, it is important to stay concise and avoid repeating information that is readily available in other parts of the application. Rather than simply listing your experiences, let us know how these experiences helped you to grow personally or professionally. We want to get to know you from a perspective that cannot be achieved by reviewing transcripts, test scores and resumes.
- Mind your writing technique. The essay is a reflection of your written communication skills. Avoid being too wordy; stay focused and organized; and check your grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Clarify. You can use the essay as an opportunity to explain weaknesses in your record. If you do, be sure to explain them adequately and address your attempts to improve.
Essay Submission Tips:
- You will have the option to submit your online application and essay either together or separately. I highly recommend that you submit your application first and return to the essay later, if necessary, so that your references receive their Request for Reference e-mail notifications early in the admissions process.
- If you prefer to submit your essay through the ApplyTexas online application, be sure to write and edit your essay responses in a plain-text editor such as Microsoft WordPad and then copy and paste the text into the essay text box. Alternatively, you can draft your essay in MS Word and upload the document to our document upload system.
- If you submit your essay through the ApplyTexas online application, the system will accept a maximum of 120 eighty-character lines of text (including spaces and blank lines). Please note that this is the maximum allowed by the system, not the recommended length!