FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

At the Formula 1 Fanfest. Events like this one make Austin fun! (See last question)

As the semester flies by I’ve had the pleasure of hosting several prospective students at our admissions forums or campus visits. It’s been amazing hearing people’s stories and each interaction also increases my pride in being a Longhorn. Campus has an amazing energy about it and if you can I’d highly recommend coming to Texas and see what it’s all about. If you can’t, I’m going to provide some answers to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) I receive from visitors. Please note that these are just my opinions and am no way am I claiming to be an expert!

What should I do to prepare for class?

Sleep as much as you can now. I’m joking a little bit but there’s so much going on all the time (see next question) that I find myself more tired now than when I used to wake up before 6am for work! Seriously though, I would suggest becoming familiar with, or re-familiarizing depending on your situation, accounting and finance concepts. The courses move quickly at the start of the semester and I spent the first few weeks adjusting to sitting in class, learning to focus and comprehend material (as opposed to simply reading and writing transactional communications often found in work environments) and having to do homework and assignments. Having a background knowledge of the course matter from my undergraduate degree definitely helped to prepare for class.

What’s the hardest part of an MBA?

Any MBA student will tell you school is all about time management. I’m in class 4 hours a day and class can be anytime between 8am-6pm. Assignments and projects are constant and I maximize my time by reading while on the bus or between classes. I’m also involved in several student organizations ranging from the Graduate Women in Business to the MBA Soccer Club. Time commitments vary and it’s truly up to you to manage your own schedule. In addition there are all the Career Management activities to attend. From information sessions with companies to informational interviews to skill building workshops there are lots of activities to juggle. Finally, to maintain a life outside of b-school I also coach a Girls on the Run team at a local elementary school which takes approximately 3 hours a week. With so many activities I stay organized by using my trusty pink calendar and reviewing my upcoming schedule at the end of each day.

Why did you choose McCombs?

I chose McCombs for a few reasons. The first thing I wanted in a school was a small class as a contrast to my experience as an undergrad at UC Berkeley. After visiting and speaking to several students I also found that the collaborative culture was a differentiator from other business schools. Geographically, Austin was a great location for me as it wasn’t too far from family and friends in CA and there’s an extremely mild winter! Also, Austin itself as a city was a huge draw as it has an energy about it that is incomparable to anywhere else I’ve lived. Finally, I love being a part of a larger university. It’s a great way to network and enhance industry knowledge.

A 2nd year student enjoying the full-time Texas MBA experience!

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Full-Time, Student Life
0 comments on “FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1 Pings/Trackbacks for "FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)"
  1. [...] about a slew of recent activities and events in which he had participated. McCombs ’14 Shelby answered some frequently answered questions about the MBA experience. INSEAD ’14 Adedeji looked forward to organizing Africa week with his [...]