For Daniel Hinkson, a veteran MBA at Houston student, a degree from Texas McCombs is a way to transform his military experience into a successful career in business.

From the Army to the Business World

Photo of Daniel Hinkson

“Following my transition out of the Army, I realized my peers in the corporate sector had significant business experiences and knowledge I lacked. Conversely, the knowledge and experiences I had in the Army were vast and invaluable, but I felt a needed to close the business knowledge gap.”

After graduating from the United States Military Academy in 2012 Daniel commissioned as a Field Artillery Officer in the Army. He got married and then moved six times in six years, including two tours in Afghanistan. His career is most notably highlighted by his time serving as an Army Ranger in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Now, Daniel has transitioned out of the Army and works as a Project Engineer for Enerflex Ltd. 

“The military exposes leaders to a vast number of different personalities and backgrounds. It is the ultimate melting pot of societies coming together to be greater than themselves. The McCombs School of Business strives for this same type of diverse unification in support of greater purpose, even to change the world.”

Balancing Work, Life and Family

The biggest advantage of the Working Professional MBA program for Daniel has been the alternating weekend class format that allows him to prioritize family time with his wife and two young children.

Daniel with his wife and kids outside of the McCombs School of Business building in Austin Texas.

Daniel with his wife and children on campus at UT Austin .

“Like many looking to advance their careers through an MBA, I was not ready to pursue a full-time education. The MBA at Houston program offered me the greatest flexibility while still providing an interesting and challenging curriculum. The every-other-weekend format also allowed for decompression time that I could dedicate to my family.”

Daniel’s “Why McCombs?”

Daniel found tremendous value in connecting with the program through an event. We always recommend registering for an event as an important step in your journey, to learn more about our program culture and how an MBA can help you reach your goals.

“As part of my search, I sat in on a Business Integrity class with Professor Meakin. I was blown away by the depth and breadth of discussion of ethical issues. Prior to sitting in on a class, I met with my Houston Admissions Officer at an MBA fair and then for a coffee chat to ask questions. As an alum of an MBA program herself, she was a huge advocate for the program and a massive part of my decision to attend.

McCombs provides a top-ranked, quality education, with a huge network of graduates and resources accessible from my hometown. I knew I wanted to be in a classroom environment surrounded by highly intelligent classmates looking to challenge and improve themselves. I could not have been more impressed with the quality and character of the students, nor could I have foreseen the challenging and meaningful conversations they were having surrounding solutions to complex problems.”

Daniel was also attracted to the large alumni network and the opportunities that came from the MBA at Houston program. 

“The MBA at Houston program has afforded me the confidence and skills to pursue unanticipated entrepreneurship opportunities. Twice during the program, I have been invited to participate in startup ventures. Without this program, I would have had neither the confidence or skills to pursue any such venture. Professors like Dr. Luis Martins, who encourages us to use his “lifetime lifeline” for all former students, graciously gave his time to offer suggestions and provide us with additional contacts. Because of UT Austin’s global reach, our new venture is postured for much brighter success.

The leadership opportunities I experienced in the Army are an invaluable foundation on which to build my career. I am grateful for the added foundational experiences that this MBA program has given me. As a young Army lieutenant, I made it my mission to have a positive impact on people and help others achieve their potential each and every day. At Enerflex, I have found a work environment that has allowed me to feel fulfilled in this life pursuit. It gives me great  joy that I found an MBA program focused on changing the world one individual at a time.”

McCombs values and celebrates the diversity that the veteran perspective brings to our school. If you’re a prospective veteran student considering Texas McCombs, check out the military community in both our MBA programs and Austin as a whole.

Visit Texas McCombs MBA to find out more about all our programs, events and community, or take a peek into student life on Instagram.

Hook ’em!