Full-Time MBA Admissions Update: Final App Deadline & Meet Your AO’s

The final Texas Full-Time MBA application deadline is March 24th. We are excited to have seen an increase in both the quantity and quality of applications so far, and have received applications from over 40 countries! The Texas MBA Admissions team is looking forward to welcoming Round 1 admitted students to our Texas Saturday event in Austin this weekend.

Meet Your Admissions Officers

The Texas MBA Full-Time Admissions team is dedicated to helping you navigate the admissions process, learn #WhyMcCombs, and get all your questions answered. Learn more about who you can expect to meet on your journey to McCombs below.

Julia Campbell, Full-Time Admissions

Julia Campbell
Senior Admissions Officer, Texas MBA Full-Time Program

How long have you been with the Texas MBA and what is your background?
I joined McCombs in February 2011 in the Development and External Relations department and moved to the Texas MBA Program Office full time admissions staff in August 2012.  I earned my business degree in Finance and Operations at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and moved to Texas where I worked in sales, analysis, donor relations, and event strategy.  My focus on the full-time admissions is women’s recruitment, management of the McCombs Admissions Committee student volunteers, interview operations, waitlist management, alumni engagement and recruitment/yield event strategy.

What has been your most rewarding experience so far working on the Texas MBA admissions team?
Oddly enough, the most rewarding experience I’ve had in admissions isn’t related to admissions at all, although many professionals in admissions will tell you that this job is a total blast (you get to meet new and interesting people every day, travel the planet, read thrilling essays, and make those incredible congratulatory phone calls to admitted students.)  The winner for me, though, is attending MBA Orientation after everyone has been admitted to see them off to begin this exciting new phase of their lives.  I’ve spent many, many hours getting to know these people as applicants on paper and in person. By the time summer orientation rolls around, I know them well and it’s a rewarding experience to see them take the first real steps to pursue what they’ve worked so hard to convey to me during the application process: their dreams and ambitions begin.

In your opinion, what are some of the strongest attributes of a Texas MBA class?
My focus in admissions is women’s recruitment, a very interesting area to watch these days.  With studies and headlines coming out all the time swinging the pendulum on where a woman’s position is in the business world, it’s incredible to witness this movement on an individual level.  I work with inspiring, capable, driven, self-aware women MBA candidates and current students who choose to pursue their business careers with such commitment and sense of purpose that I can’t help but have full faith that this “gap” will continue to close.

Rene Martinez, Full-Time Admissions

Rene Martinez

I joined the Full Time Texas MBA Admissions team in August of 2014. Upon completing my degree in Communication Studies at The University of Texas at Austin, I began working for International Studies Abroad’s (ISA) high school division where I managed program recruitment, admissions and served as the on-site Director in Mexico, Costa Rica and Spain. Following my work with ISA, I managed Texas teacher recruitment for the student travel branch of the Discovery Channel. Prior to joining the MBA admissions team, I worked in the UT International Office where I coordinated all aspects of an 18-month Foundation Year program for non-matriculated business and engineering students from Saudi Arabia.

So far my most rewarding experience has been having the opportunity to travel to China and South Korea to interview highly qualified candidates for our next incoming class. I enjoyed meeting a number of bright candidates, hearing their stories and learning about how they plan to use a Texas MBA to elevate their careers and take a giant leap toward their goals.

I think diversity and cohesion are what make our Texas MBAs so special. Our students come from a wide range of cultures, backgrounds, and industries. It is inspiring to see how they come together on campus with a shared vision of not only working toward their own goals but also going above and beyond to collaborate and ensure the success of each one of their classmates.

Stephen Sweeney, Full-Time Admissions

Stephen Sweeney
Director of Admissions, Texas MBA Full-Time Program

I have been working at the Texas MBA for slightly over a year.  I am also an alum of the full-time program and volunteered with admissions as a student.  Prior to enrolling in McCombs, I worked in the hedge fund industry and taught fourth grade through Teach For America.  After I graduated, I worked in management consulting until returning to McCombs.

What has been your most rewarding experience so far working on the Texas MBA admissions team? Interacting with such high caliber, driven individuals from all over the world who are interested in McCombs has been incredibly rewarding!  I love hearing each applicant’s reasons pertaining to why they are passionate about attending McCombs.

Our accessible faculty along with the hands-on opportunities that McCombs offers truly sets our program apart.  Whether being selected for one our Fellows programs or doing an MBA+ project, our students have ample ways to apply what they learn in the classroom to current issues facing companies.  I also feel that our Career Management team is the best in the business.  This is evident in our placement rates, but you have to see how students transform over the two years and much of this can be attributed to our stellar Career Management team.  Our location in Austin also creates a learning environment that is competitive and collaborative at the same time.

If you are applying to our program before the March 24 final deadline, here are some fantastic blog entries to help you complete your application:

Understanding the 2015 Essay QuestionsUnderstanding the 2015 Essays Leveraging the 3rd PersonLetters of Recommendation The Road to McCombsThe Roads to McCombs You’ve Got Application Questions, We’ve Got AnswersTips on the Application

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us via email at TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu and we encourage you to check out our many upcoming events.

We look forward to meeting you soon!

Hook ‘em!

1. Dan Pawlowski

March 3, 2015 at 4:03 am

Great article! Thank you for posting! It’s great to be able to view profiles from the admissions committee and get an idea of who they are and what they like. It makes me feel like I’m not writing an essay to a brick wall! Look for my application in a couple weeks!

• Kimberly Jones

March 3, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thank you, Dan! We look forward to your application (before the March 24th deadline of course)!