Student Profile: Adam Petras – UBC President

AdamPetrasBHP Senior, Adam Petras, began his role as President of the Undergraduate Business Council (UBC) at the beginning of this semester. He joined UBC at the beginning of his freshman year and has been actively involved ever since, continuing to make a positive impact on the McCombs undergraduate community.

Why did you choose UT and specifically, BHP?

I decided to go to the University of Texas because it had everything I was looking for in a college experience: top-tier academic programs, a huge campus with 50,000 students, and a great city to live in. I actually came in to UT as a non-BHP McCombs student, but after learning more about the case-based curriculum, small class sizes, and sense of community that BHP had, I was motivated to apply as a sophomore transfer.

How did you become involved in UBC?

I first learned about UBC during Freshman Orientation. As I was waiting for my parents to pick me up I began talking to one of the Orientation Advisors to pass the time. She seemed so driven, poised, and confident and was telling me about how joining UBC was one of the best decisions she made at UT. This conversation inspired me to learn more about the Undergraduate Business Council and to apply to UBC when I returned to campus. I applied to UBC as an At-Large Member and also ran for the Freshman Elected Representative position. Although I didn’t win the Elected Representative election, I was selected as an At-Large Member.

How has your involvement progressed throughout the years? What different leadership roles have you held?

My involvement has progressed from a committee member and elected Senate Representative to a leader of the organization. During my first two years on council, I participated in a mix of internal-facing and external-facing committees and responsibilities. After sophomore year, I decided to run for Financial Director of UBC, and ended up serving in this role during my junior year. This year I have returned to the Executive Board as President and am really enjoying the experience so far.

What types of events does UBC put on?

UBC hosts a wide variety of events. From career events such as The VIP Distinguished Speaker Series, Company Field Trips, and case competitions to academic events such as McCombs Talks and the McCombs Executive Summit, UBC provides McCombs undergraduates opportunities outside the classroom to make the most of their education. We also host many student life events such as Engineering vs. Business week and BBA Legacy to help create a strong sense of community within McCombs.

What have you gained by being part of UBC?

I have grown a lot on the professional and academic side through really strong older mentors, and by being in an environment where everyone is highly motivated to achieve their goals. It is very empowering to be surrounded by such great people. I have also grown a lot personally. Through my leadership positions these past two years, I have become much more proactive and organized, and have made some of my best friends through UBC.

What do you hope for UBC to do differently under your presidency?

I hope to spur a culture of innovation and excitement within UBC this year. As an established organization, it is easy to do the same thing every year and accept the status quo, but this year we’re really trying to look for ways to improve how we serve the undergraduate students of McCombs. Whether it be through a new or revamped event or through working with faculty and administration, we are striving to push the boundaries and elevate our effectiveness in serving the McCombs School of Business.