BHP Buenos Aires Short-Term International Program – Enroll Today!

The Short-Term Study Abroad BHP Management Program in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is not only the first-ever South American Program, but is also exclusively designed and reserved for BHP students. During the five-week summer program, students take two courses and earn six BHP credits while studying at one of the top business schools in Argentina, the Universidad de San Andres. Students take two courses – Organizational Behavior (MAN336H) and Non-Market Strategies in Emerging Markets (IB372). An English-speaking professor at the host university teaches the second course.

Professor Ethan Burris

“My class was a little different taught in Buenos Aires for a few reasons,” said Management Professor Ethan Burris, who taught the MAN336H class “Because the course is condensed to five weeks, I teach for four-hour blocks of time, which allows for deeper discussion. I didn’t feel like I had to cut a conversation short. Also students are also able to take what they learn and apply it to the non-free market of Buenos Aires first hand. Buenos Aires is a big city. It’s like a less glamorous New York City or Chicago.”

Classes are held in the morning, freeing afternoons and evenings for weekly, organized excursions to experience the vibrant culture of Buenos Aires. There is one three-day weekend incorporated into the schedule, which many students used for additional travel. A particularly popular destination for the weekend was Iguazu Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Throughout the session, the group will tour at least two large companies. Summer 2013 tours included: Danone (food production); Tenaris (oil and gas); and Cartocor (packaging).

Iguazu Falls, one of the seven wonders of the world

The 2013 group. Submitted by Dana Hwu

As a current BHP student, there are no prerequisites to participate in the program. There are 25 spots available each summer. Students do not need to speak or understand Spanish to join the program. Both courses are taught in English and the group is accompanied by a cultural liaison. The liaison is generally a graduate student that has traveled to the area before, knows it well, and speaks the language. Registration is first-come, first-served and opens today. Attend the Short-Term International Programs Information Session Wednesday, October 2, at 3 p.m., in CBA 3.304. Read more about the experience from the students who went on the trip below.

Dana Hwu

“I had an absolutely amazing time in Argentina! I am so incredibly happy and thankful I went because I don’t think I would have ever gone to South America without this opportunity pulling me there. The culture was so different, and it was unlike any other experience.” – Dana Hwu

Photo of Buenos Aires submitted by Rachel Solomon

“I can’t even begin to pick one favorite aspect! Everything from the coffee, to the architecture to the weather to the classes to the people I spent my time with to the excursions and beyond made me fall in love with the trip. I never wanted to leave.” – Rachel Solomon

“One weekend, we tagged along with a travel agency to a northwestern city called Mendoza, which is at the foothills of the Andes Mountains. We took a horseback tour along the mountains guided by a gaucho (Argentine cowboy) and had asado afterwards, which is basically a huge meal of fresh vegetables and barbequed meat. The food was delicious and the view was absolutely breathtaking.” – Amy Yu

George Chidiac

“McCombs prides itself on diversity. Studying with local students was a concrete example of McCombs walking the talk. Not only were I and 24 other BHP students able to study with Argentinians, but we also had French foreign exchange students with us in our International Business course. A melting pot of students from three different countries, we were all able to contribute in ways I never imagined. Weird as it may seem, articles we read came to life when Argentinian and French students were able to validate claims and expand on others, such as when we discussed the black market.” – George Chidiac

One Comment
  1. What a wonderful opportunity BHP provided for my son this summer! It was a wonderful experience for him as well as for the whole family. I was happy he was able to experience the culture, city and sights. Once in a lifetime opportunity that every student should experience. Great job BHP and thank you!