Alumni Spotlight: Farah Ahmed – Financial Analyst for Brazil Exploration & Appraisal at BP

Farah Ahmed, BHP ’10, is a Financial Analyst with BP. As a new employee, Farah entered into BP’s Challenge Program, a three-year development program for full-time new-graduate hires from business, engineering and science disciplines. In 2012, Farah was chosen as one of three leads for the Challenge Program to oversee a leadership team of 28 people developing events and programs for all new-hires across the Western Hemisphere. Now, after three years in different positions, Farah has graduated from the Challenge Program and is heading to Harvard to get her MBA this fall.

Why did you decide to pursue a career in energy?

Going to college, I wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do with my business degree, but I knew that I wanted to devote my life and work to something that made a difference. After my sophomore year, I had an internship with Grameen Bank, a microfinance institution that won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 for its work in lifting people out of poverty by providing micro-loans to poor women in developing parts of the world. During my internship, I travelled to Bangladesh and went to a village where one of Grameen Bank’s sister companies had installed solar panels and biofuel stoves. This mother came up to me and told me a story about her son, who was now able to study after the sun went down because they had energy. She went on to tell me that her son is now doing better in school and he just got into college. I realized just how much we take energy for granted in our lives. Access to energy is a really important thing, and seeing this first-hand was one of the big reasons why I decided to pursue a career in energy. I knew I could make a difference and improve people’s lives by working at a company that produces energy providing heat, light and fuel to communities all across the world.

Tell me about your career path.

I completed an internship in finance with BP after my junior year, supporting their North America Gas Planning and Strategy team in Houston. I then received a full-time offer for BP’s Challenge Program, which is an early career development program that’s allowed me to rotate to three very different positions over the last three years. In my first full-time rotation, I joined BP’s joint ventures team for our North America Gas organization. My next rotation took me to Amarillo, TX, where I gained operational experience by working out in a field office. I then returned to Houston for my final rotation where I now run economics for BP’s Exploration and Appraisal team in Brazil.

One of the main reasons I joined BP is because of their commitment to alternative energy development. More than a decade ago, BP realized that alternative energy is an important part of our future. While our operations are primarily oil and gas focused, I connected with this perspective of understanding.

What have you learned in your work and travel experiences?

To soak in as much as possible, ask questions and to truly push yourself to understand operations, because this is at the heart of every business, no matter what industry you are in. I took a role in West Texas and relocated to work in the field for 18 months to gain operations experience. This was not a role many other analysts or engineers wanted, and even though it was tough for me to move to a small town, this experience is the reason I am now able to stand out amongst my peers.  My advice to others is to be willing to take difficult roles and assignments, take opportunities that come to you, and be willing to push yourself beyond boundaries you might have set for yourself upon graduation.

What aspects of the BHP have helped you the most in your current role?

The biggest things for me have been financial modelling skills, interpersonal skills and presentation skills. Those are all skills I am using on a daily basis.  The BHP curriculum naturally teaches you these skills through learning experiences that come from a curriculum focused on group activity.  Teamwork is critical for preparing students to communicate effectively with peers and co-workers. My strong presentation skills provided me with the confidence I needed to prepare for opportunities to lead discussions and drive my point across in presentations at work. BHP also taught me how to network, which is also important when you are looking to build and expand your career.

Do you have any advice for students thinking about a career in the energy industry?

Research the industry. Not just oil and gas, but the entire energy industry. The industry is focused on innovation and exists on the cutting edge of science and technology. Employers are looking for new hires that are interested in a career with lifelong learning opportunities. Try to learn as much as you can, and understand what aspects of the business excite you. Don’t feel like you have to choose just one thing. The energy industry is huge and constantly evolving, so you’re not expected to know exactly what you’ll end up wanting to do right out of college. Finally, reach out and network with professionals in the industry, informational interviews are great for learning about other people’s experiences. You never know – that connection may help you land a job!

**Representatives from BP will be hosting a BHP Coffee Chat on September 10 from 3:30-4:15 pm and from 4:15-5 pm.