Student Spotlight: Holland Finley

BHP junior Holland Finley loves sports. She is a world champion wakeboarder and has competed in pole-vaulting, cheerleading and diving as well. She attributes her competitiveness and perseverance to being raised around sports. She brings that same drive to her academics and leadership activities at UT. We sat down with Holland recently to find out more about her passion for wakeboarding and what she has been up to lately.

You are a world champion wakeboarder. Tell me more about that.

When I was 7, I started water skiing on a family vacation. Over the next couple of years my brother became interested in wakeboarding and encouraged me to try it when I was 12. I was a cheerleader and had learned tumbling moves growing up. My brother and his friends, recognizing the parallels between the sports, encouraged me to try some of my tumbling moves on the water. My first trick was called a “tantrum,” which is like a standing back flip from wake to wake. I had a lot of falls before I landed my first invert, but I was determined – you never land a new trick your first time. As my brother became more invested in the sport, he became sponsored and was asked to compete in the national tournament for wakeboarding. I was 13 at the time, and my dad encouraged me to compete in the national tournament as well. I ended up taking second place in the 13 and under girls’ division and from then on I was hooked. After that tournament I received product sponsorships from a couple different companies including Cobian Solewear, Angel Eyewear, and Gator Boards.

Growing up wakeboarding definitely had its challenges. I was really one of the only girls riding competitively in Texas. When I would practice, it would be me and 18 to 20 year-old guys. It was tough at first, but I got used to it and always had my older brother and family supporting me.  When I was 17, I was elected to the U.S. Wakeboard Team to compete in South Korea for the World Championship. I met so many riders from around the world and won a world title! That same year I was voted “Female Amateur Wakeboarder of the Year,” and was honored with a  write up in the US Waterskier Magazine.

What lessons do you think you learned from those experiences?

I learned perseverance, determination, and how to hold your own in a field full of guys. I had so many injuries that I had to work through. I have had a torn MCL, separated ribs and scars all over. It is crucial  to persevere and have a competitive streak. I think being in sports has helped me manage my time and set goals in the academic setting. Wakeboarding was also my first introduction to business. I dealt with sponsors and was a speaker at different boat shows. That influenced me to want to pursue business as a degree.

Are you still pursuing competitive wakeboarding?           

I am a member of the Texas Wake, the wakeboarding club team for UT. Additionally, I give lessons on the side on Lake Austin during the summer and warm months. School is ultimately the most important thing in my life, and has taken a primary role the last couple of years.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I am the tappee trainer for the Orange Jackets. I educate new Orange Jackets and assist them with executing their year-long service project. I am also associate director of philanthropy for student government, where I am heading up a new initiative called Orange Outreach, and am on the philanthropy committee for my sorority, Tri-Delt.

What is the new initiative you are working on, Orange Outreach?

I am working with a team of people from Student Government to connect people to large-scale projects and build a bridge to different non-profits in Austin. We are producing a newsletter and blog with different volunteer opportunities. At this age, everyone is keen to be a part of the community and this is a great way to introduce people who have never volunteered before to doing that. As a member of UT community, I have learned the power of the student body to affect positive change. I have had a passion for volunteering since high school. Through student government, I have a platform to help develop that passion in other students as well.

You grew up in Austin. Did you always know you would attend UT?

I have burnt orange blood. Everyone in my family went to UT. I actually thought I would go out of state, but after visiting some of those schools, I realized that I HAD to go to UT. The platforms available here for students to have their voices heard is unique and not paralleled. I love it here. I went to Discover BHP and was so impressed by the BHP students who spoke at that event. Business Honors has had an incredible impact on my life and I really value the mentorship program and the fact that I know my classmates.

Any plans yet for after graduation?

I am planning on going to law school. I am going to write my Plan II thesis on corporate social responsibility and its importance in today’s society. I think corporations have immense capacity to do good, while building their brand. I think that type of mentality needs to be more prominent. I am hoping to ultimately find a role at a corporate foundation or as a consultant for corporate social responsibility.

Do you have any advice for students just getting started at UT and in the BHP?

Explore what UT has to offer. Go to performances and sports games. Talk to your advisor. Tap into the UT support network. I just saw John Legend and that was amazing. My first couple years I would wait and see what my friends were going to, but I have started just going to things myself and making new friends, I think that is important. Embrace the resources UT has to help you change the world, and have as much fun as you can in your time here.