Student Spotlight: Sterling Hill

Sterling Hill, BHP & Finance ’13 spent the spring semester in Washington D.C. participating in the Archer Program. The Archer Program brings UT students to D.C. to allow them to experience working in government and politics. There are around 30 students per semester accepted from across the UT system schools. We sat down with him to hear more about his experience in the program and what he plans to do after he graduates.

Why were you interested in the Archer Program?

I have always been fascinated by politics and am minoring in government. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get outside of the business school and wanted to merge my interests in business and politics. I applied to the program, then shortly after I was admitted, I found out that I was going to have the opportunity to work for the financial sector.

Tell me more about what you did while you were in D.C.?

I was working for the Financial Services Round Table, whose mission is to protect and promote the economic vitality and integrity of its members and the United States financial system. They represent the interests of the 100 biggest financial institutions in the world. For example, when the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act came through after the financial crash, they represented the interests of the banks and financial institutions. I was an intern in this area and worked in the Government Affairs Department and worked directly under the chief lobbyist. I had the opportunity to attend a lot of committee hearings with politicians. My project for the semester was compiling election updates and results for lobbyists and politicians.

My favorite aspect of the program was being around 30 other super bright students who were all working at really interesting places. After talking with them, I was able to learn more about their experiences and it opened my eyes to other areas I am now interested in, like global trade.

Did you have any epiphanies about your career after school from the experience?

I did. I love Washington D.C. and learned more there than I probably have in all of my schooling so far. I am more knowledgeable now about politics. The experience helped me gain clarity on which avenue I want to pursue for my career, which I don’t think is politics after all.

What has been your favorite class at UT?

In the business school, it was Finance 376 taught by Robert Duvic. It taught me about global trade and how it affects the economy and people’s standard of living. It made me realize there is more to finance than just the numbers and showed me the actual human impact. Outside of the business school, I really liked the Theatre and Dance class that I took. I ended up going to see a bunch of shows on campus because I enjoyed it so much.

What are you involved in outside of class?

I am part of a service organization called Brothers Under Christ. It is a group of 200 guys who meet together each week to make a positive impact on campus. I also work for a technology startup in Austin called Predictable Data. They create data mining software for small businesses. I help with sales and finacials. I am also involved with a UT student organization called Students for Educational Reform, which educates students on the issues in education reform, while getting them involved in local schools.

What do you wish you had known coming in?

Get involved in something other than business to open your mind to new experiences and broaden your world view. Each time I got involved outside of the business school, it gave me a broader perspective of what is truly important.