BHP Leadership Kickoff: Taking the First Step

When Leadership Kickoff was being pitched, someone had said, “It’ll be the best weekend of your lives.” How could I turn down an offer like that? After attending and letting the experience soak in, here’s the 5 reasons I would throw in an elevator pitch before we made it to the top floor.

1. BHPeople. What made the camp distinct was it was run by BHP students (both peer mentors and HBA board members). College students relate to college students best. They were on our wavelength in activities, cheers, and questions. We learned more about everything from the best teachers, to study spots, to the art of eating free food. I didn’t have to pay for dinner for a week.
  2. So you think you can dance? After a long day of puzzles, challenges, and many team-building exercises, I was able to dance and eat ice-cream… all at the same time! One of the greatest ways to bring everyone together was nothing short of one of Austin’s favorite, “The Wobble.”
  3. Happy meal = happy campers. Not only was the food great, so was the location. Camp Balcones Springs was beautiful. Although I wish we would have swam in the lake, I was able to zip-line my way over it.
  4. Energy Level. I can’t just give the hosts of the camp one paragraph. However difficult it may be to follow up a Texas football game, our camp coordinators had an unmatched energy level. I thought they were crazy at one point, wondering how they operated with such little sleep. Ultimately, they were so passionate about the BHP cause that it never phased them.
  5. Look good, play good. We had a chance to dress up. Although it was for a short time in the Honor Code ceremony, we were all together in great attire. I couldn’t help but feel “boss.” We will have many chances to do the same in the future, but this was just a taste of what it meant to be BHP. Classy.

Whether it was the best weekend of my life or not, only time will tell. All I know is we (the BHP class of 2016) are going to do some damage. Power in numbers and power in mind, we have only taken the first step into what it means to be BHPowerful.

-George Chidiac, BHP Class of 2016