“It was the first time I felt how small my little bubble in Texas was compared to how big the world really is.”

Victoria Young | University of Bath (Spring 2016)

Why did you consider studying abroad? img_0483

Studying abroad had been on my college bucket list since I was a sophomore in high school. My family was coming back from visiting my aunt in Guatemala for a week, and I was so sad to leave. It was my first taste of travel and I was immediately hooked. I loved being in a place that I knew nothing about, but then learning about the culture, the history, and the people of the place through the meals we cooked, the conversations with the locals we had, and the exploring we did. It was really the first time I felt how small my little bubble in Texas was compared to how big the world really is, and it began an insatiable desire to travel more and consequently learn more about this world I live in.

img_1149Were you ever hesitant about studying abroad?

The most difficult part of the decision definitely wasn’t whether or not I should go, but how I would make it happen. I’m a dual major in management and Liberal Arts Honors history with a minor in religious studies. I also started McCombs my junior year, so I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to fit in all the necessary requirements to go abroad in time. But being proactive and making meetings with the right people far enough in advance, I was able to make it all fit together while still planning to graduate on time this coming May.

What advice do you have for students wanting to study abroad?img_1362

To anyone who has the inkling that they may want to study abroad, I would encourage you to be proactive. Go to the info sessions. Make an appointment with your adviser(s). Ask questions. Do your research online. Talk to friends and friends of friends who went to places you may be interested in. Don’t put off researching study abroad and all the options McCombs has to offer, because I promise you, there’s a program out there to fit your schedule and preferences. You just have to take hold of the opportunity.

Read more from Victoria! https://mindingthegap2016.wordpress.com/