BBA Faculty Honor Roll: Ken Wiles

BBA Faken_wilesculty Honor Roll Member: Ken Wiles

Keyword: Finance, Mission, Thunder

Congratulations, Professor Wiles, on your selection to the Spring 2016 BBA Honor Roll by the Undergraduate Business Council (UBC)!

What do you teach?

• FIN 370 – Integrative Finance

Research Focus

Private equity, venture capital, corporate finance, and governance

Personal Motto

Do the right thing, do it right, and do it right now.

What is your favorite part about teaching BBA students?

The BBA students at McCombs are remarkable.  They are bright, inquisitive, thoughtful, and considerate.  I appreciate that they are well prepared and ask insightful and challenging questions.  Their desire to enhance their abilities and become better people, inspires me to be better.  I am grateful for the opportunity to meet with them every class.

What advice would you like to give BBA students?

The most important action any company takes is to write a thoughtful mission statement.  Without one, how does anyone in a company know what to do.  If it is so important for a company to write a mission statement, then it should be equally as important for students to write one as well.  They should think about what you core values are and what drives their satisfaction and happiness.  They should then evaluate any company with which they might work or the people with whom they associate and have values that match up to the their personal mission statements.  If the core values do not align, then they should find another company or others to have in their lives.

Outside of the classroom, what are some of your interests?

I like to travel, ride my mountain bike and my Harley, play with my dog (Thunder), and spend time with friends and family.

Which talent would you most like to have?

If the ability to fly is possible, then that.  If not, then to play a guitar at 80% of what Stevie Ray Vaughan could do.

If you could have dinner with a notable person in history, who would that be and why?

Winston Churchill, because he was brilliant, overcame incredible adversity, and saved the world.  As a second choice, I would like to have dinner with Will Rogers.  He was incredibly funny and insightful.

Which living person do you most admire and why?

I am going to chose two, my parents.  They have been married for more than 55 years and remain in love and dedicated to each other.  They have kept their promise to one another.

What’s your personal motto? Do you have a story to share?

Share your memories of Career Week!