We are proud to announce that Maia Yang (MPA ‘ 16) has been offered a Postgraduate Technical Assistant (PTA) position with the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). Beginning in July, Maia will gather firsthand experience in how governmental standards are created and changed to reflect the world around us.

When asked about the type of work she anticipates during her time with the GASB, Maia said, “I’ll be doing a lot of reading, a lot of researching, and a lot of memo writing. I expressed interest in several projects, but one of my favorites is how the government should recognize its asset retirement obligations. I think this project in particular is exciting because of the potential environmental impact such reporting can have.”

The GASB PTA program is a one-year term, during which the individual becomes highly involved with the accounting standards-setting process and comes to have an in-depth understanding of the roles played by preparers, auditors, and users of financial information. This program represents one of the highest honors available for new graduates due to the one-of-a-kind experience it provides for participants.

Congratulations Maia!